Matthew was called to the Manitoba Bar in 2005 and the Alberta Bar in 2006 and maintains a commercial practice which includes advising on business transactions, securities and corporate finance related matters.
He has extensive experience in acting for borrowers and private lenders, including mortgage investment corporations (MICs) and syndicated mortgage entities. Matthew’s involvement with the private lending industry includes advising on a wide range of matters, from providing specialized assistance with initial incorporations and organizations of MICs to assisting clients with private placement offerings, specifically the preparation of offering memoranda and subscription agreements. He also assists his private lending clients with securities registration issues as they relate to fundraising activities in the exempt market. Additionally, over the last 10 years Matthew has acted as lenders’ counsel in a large number of asset-based and real estate-based secured lending transactions on behalf of MICs, mortgage syndicators and other private lenders.
Matthew’s practice also includes acting for Bitcoin entities operating in the developing area of virtual currency law, specifically assisting Canadian clients with regulatory and compliance advice, corporate law, securities advice and banking assistance tailored to start-up ventures in the Canadian Bitcoin space. Matthew is also involved with international counsel in assisting Canadian clients with respect to the burgeoning area of virtual currency law and has published various articles on the topic on one of the most prolific virtual currency news websites in the world.
Professional Associations & Activities
- Member, Private Capital Markets Association (PCMA)
- Member, Private Capital Markets Association (PCMA), Private Lending Committe
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Former Board Member, Oxford House Foundation of Canada
- Former Board Member, Bishop O’Byrne Housing For Seniors Association
- "Captive Dealers and Mortgage Investment Entities: Concerns and Safeguards", Private Capital Markets magazine, PCMA, Spring 2016
- "Amendments to the Offering Memorandum Exemption", December 1, 2015
- "Offering Memoranda and Mortgage Investment Entities: Select Disclosure Issues", Private Capital Markets magazine, PCMA, Spring 2015
- "Exempt Market & Private Lending Update: Amendments to NI 45-106", March 17, 2015
- "Canadian Provincial Bitcoin Law: It’s All About Protecting the Consumer", CoinDesk, December 2013
- "Does Canada View Bitcoin as Currency?", CoinDesk, November 2013
- "All you need to know about federal bitcoin law in Canada", CoinDesk, October 23, 2013
- "Bitcoin: The World’s Most Popular Virtual Currency", Corporate & Commercial Update, September 2013
- "Digital Assets in Estate Matters", Canadian Bar Association Alberta, Wills & Trusts Law - South Section Meeting, January 13, 2015
- Inside Bitcoins: the future of virtual currency, "A Primer on Canadian Bitcoin Law", April 7-8, 2014, New York
Quoted in 'Canadian Lawyer' article, 'Cryptocurrency', commenting on the the status and challenges of this technology in Canadian financial institutions. To read the article please click here.