Brent’s practice is primarily focused on business law including shareholder/partnership disputes, M&A risk-advice, corporate and contract disputes, and employment law related matters.
Brent has many years of experience acting on behalf businesses of all sizes, in a wide variety of industry sectors. He has advised or litigated for entrepreneurs, accountants, lawyers and medical professionals, ranchers, Oil and Gas producers, parts manufacturers and service providers, agri-pharmaceutical suppliers, food packagers, school divisions, police departments and municipal governments.
Brent has appeared in court in all four Western Canadian provinces, and in numerous arbitrations, including hostile shareholder disputes. Brent is accustomed to bringing disputes to a “new deal”. He often teaches and gives seminars, and attends conferences across Canada.
Brent Cooper is Vice-Chair (Chair Elect) of the Calgary Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors. He also presently sits on the Chamber’s Governance & Human Resources Committee and is Chair of its Policy Directions Committee.
An avid supporter of local arts and culture, Brent is a former member of the Board of Directors of Calgary Opera. Brent is one of McLeod Law’s representatives of TAGLaw, a global alliance of law firms.
Professional Associations & Activities
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, The Calgary Chamber
- Vice Chair, Board of Directors, Calgary Chamber, 2018
- Board of Directors, Calgary Chamber, 2014-2017
- Member, Human Resources & Governance Committee, Calgary Chamber, 2014-2017
- Board of Directors, Calgary Opera, 2012-2016
- Board Member, Cantare Children’s Choir
- Former VP, Spiritus Band Association
- Former President, Ecole St. Cecilia Charitable Society
- “Employment Law: What every employer needs to know”, BILD Calgary Region, June 22, 2017
- “Resolving and Avoiding Shareholder Disputes”, McLeod Law Directors’ Circle, December 2016
- “Directors’ Liability and Techniques to Minimize Exposure to Risks”, McLeod Law Directors’ Circle, September 2016
- "Legal framework and common challenges that every business owner needs to know”, Calgary Chamber, Leaders Lunch, September 2016
- “Rehiring Considerations in an Economic Upturn”, Alberta Human Resources Institute of Alberta, Annual Conference, March 2016
- "Keep the Holiday Cheer and Avoid the Liability: Hosting a Holiday Party for Employees", AMICCUS-C Western Regional Conference, November 4, 2015
- “Employment Law: A refresher on the law of Severance and Insight into the Duties owed by a Competing Former-Employee”, McLeod Law Seminar, May 2015
- "Changeovers and the Impact of Business Structure on Labour and Employment Relations", Insight Information's 10th Western Canada Employment and Labour Relations Forum, October 27-28, 2014