Brent’s practice is primarily focused on business law including shareholder/partnership disputes, M&A risk-advice, corporate and contract disputes, and employment law related matters.
Brent has many years of experience acting on behalf businesses of all sizes, in a wide variety of industry sectors. He has advised or litigated for entrepreneurs, accountants, lawyers and medical professionals, ranchers, Oil and Gas producers, parts manufacturers and service providers, agri-pharmaceutical suppliers, food packagers, school divisions, police departments and municipal governments.
Brent has appeared in court in all four Western Canadian provinces, and in numerous arbitrations, including hostile shareholder disputes. Brent is accustomed to bringing disputes to a “new deal”. He often teaches and gives seminars, and attends conferences across Canada.
Brent Cooper is Vice-Chair (Chair Elect) of the Calgary Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors. He also presently sits on the Chamber’s Governance & Human Resources Committee and is Chair of its Policy Directions Committee.
An avid supporter of local arts and culture, Brent is a former member of the Board of Directors of Calgary Opera. Brent is one of McLeod Law’s representatives of TAGLaw, a global alliance of law firms.
Professional Associations & Activities
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, The Calgary Chamber
- Vice Chair, Board of Directors, Calgary Chamber, 2018
- Board of Directors, Calgary Chamber, 2014-2017
- Member, Human Resources & Governance Committee, Calgary Chamber, 2014-2017
- Board of Directors, Calgary Opera, 2012-2016
- Board Member, Cantare Children’s Choir
- Former VP, Spiritus Band Association
- Former President, Ecole St. Cecilia Charitable Society
- "Keep the Holiday Cheer and Avoid the Liability: Hosting a Holiday Party for Employees", AMICCUS-C Western Regional Conference, November 4, 2015
- "Changeovers and the Impact of Business Structure on Labour and Employment Relations", Insight Information's 10th Western Canada Employment and Labour Relations Forum, October 27-28, 2014