Shane is a partner and head of the Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice Group of McLeod Law. He advises clients on a broad range of litigation matters and contractual issues, including corporate litigation, employment agreements and contract negotiation, construction contracts and defects, holdbacks and builder’s liens, debt recovery, bankruptcy and insolvency, and regulatory applications. His clients include individuals, small, local businesses, to Western Canadian based corporations.
Shane has appeared before all levels of court in Alberta and has been actively involved in numerous mediation and arbitration panels, including the Alberta New Home Warranty and the Natural Resources Conservation Board. Shane frequently presents employment law seminars to small and mid-sized Calgary businesses.
Shane joined McLeod Law as an articling student in 2001, was called to the Alberta Bar in 2002 and joined the partnership in 2008.
Notable Reported Decisions
- Burby v. Ball, 2018 ABCA 22 - Successfully represented the respondent in an appeal concerning a rural land purchase agreement
- Watkins v. Willow Park Golf Course Ltd., 2017 ABQB 541 - Successfully represented an employer from a wrongful dismissal action
- Burby v. Ball, 2017 ABQB 300 - Successfully represented rural property purchasers from allegations that the subject sale was invalid on the grounds of unconscionability or undue influence
Teaching Roles & Speaking Engagements
- Providing Employment Law Seminars to local businesses
- Providing Informational Sessions on Condominium Litigation
Professional Associations & Activities
- Member, Board of Directors, Calgary Flames Foundation
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Director, Calgary Flames Foundation - Annual donations in excess of $4,200,000 per year
- Director, Calgary Meals on Wheels
- Volunteer, Queen's Bench Amicus Project, Pro Bono Law Alberta
- Chair, Calgary Flames Ambassadors - Annual fundraising of $1,000,000 per year
- Chair, Annual Calgary Flames Ambassadors Celebrity Roast, raising over $1,450,000.00 in ten events
- Pro Bono Lawyer, Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada - Providing legal assistance to Canadian Athletes
- On-Call Lawyer, Student Legal Services at the University of Calgary Law School
- Past Coach, Calgary Minor Hockey