My focus is always on achieving timely, cost-effective solutions, while being prepared to take matters to trial, if necessary.
Scott is a Partner at McLeod Law, and his core practice is solving complex commercial problems. These matters range from construction, shareholder and contractual disputes, financial disputes involving restructuring and insolvency, and employment matters. And many of these issues arise specifically in relation to the energy industry.
Scott’s focus from inception is to achieve timely and cost effective resolutions while at the same time always being prepared to litigate matters through to trial. He is versatile, creative, and diligent, adeptly adjusting his strategies to solve problems as they arise.
He also has a significant regulatory background, acting as legal counsel in a series of arbitrations and related court proceedings involving electric distribution systems, and assisted in anti-corruption investigations as well as conducting multiple regulatory trials before the courts.
Scott has appeared as lead counsel and as co-counsel in numerous trials and arbitrations. He has also participated in a variety of alternative dispute resolution processes, including complex, multiparty mediations and arbitrations.
- 2006 University of Manitoba, LLB
- 2002 Queen's University, BA
- 2008 Alberta
- 2007 Manitoba
Notable decisions include:
- Abel v Modi, 2020 ABQB 530
- Stankovic v 1536679 Alberta Ltd, 2019 ABCA
- Canada North Group Inc (Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act), 2019 ABQB
- Kulhawy v Commerx Holdings LLC, 2018 ABQB
- Manseau & Perron Inc v ThyssenKrupp Industrial Solutions (Canada) Inc., 2018 ABQB
- Sobeys Capital Incorporated v Whitecourt Shopping Centre (GP) Ltd., 2018 ABQB
- Architectural Millwork & Door Installations Inc. v Provincial Store Fixtures Ltd., 2018 ABQB
- Steer v Mawji, 2017 ABQB
- Architectural Millwork & Door Installations Inc. v. Provincial Store Fixtures Ltd., 2017 ABQB
- Candyne Pump Services Inc. vs. Omega Manufacturing Corp., Charles Curtis and Gerald Hipple, 2017
- Travis v. D & J Overhead Door Ltd., 2016 ABCA
- Tahir v. TD Insurance Direct Agency Inc., 2016 ABPC
- Defended multiple construction disputes involving the “The Bow Tower”, including acting as lead trial counsel in defending an $8 million action against the owner by the millwork contractors
- Co-counsel in a 3-week arbitration to determine the terms of an Integrated Operations Agreement between an electric distribution company and a rural electrification association.
- Lead trial counsel in successfully defending an action in which the former directors and officers of a Calgary Co-op were sued for $2.4 million. In addition to successfully defending the directors and officers, also successfully obtained an award of five times column five costs.
Lead trial counsel in defending a corporation through to trial wherein an allegedly defective fire alarm system allegedly contributed to a fire causing over $50 million in damages at a condominium complex in Fort McMurray.
- Successfully represented Eddie Maurice in a nationally profiled case wherein the claim against Mr. Maurice was dismissed. Mr. Maurice, a rural Albertan, was sued by a criminal trespasser after a warning shot that he fired ricocheted off the ground and hit the criminal trespasser in the arm. This case not only changed legal precedent in Alberta but also resulted in new legislation designed to prevent criminals from suing innocent law abiding citizens.
HONOURS AND AWARDS
- D’Arcy McCaffrey QC Memorial Award for highest standing in Advanced Advocacy, 2006
- Honorable Mr. Justice Hudson Prize for highest standing in Jurisprudence, 2006
- Solomon Greenburg Advocacy Finalist, 2005
- Canadian Bar Association
- Calgary Bar Association
- Manitoba Bar Association
- Teaching Roles & Speaking Engagements
HR: EI and Workshare
Calgary Chamber, Business Resource Webinar Series: Navigating the fallout of COVID-19, March 2020
Calgary Bar Association, 2015
Various Moot Competitions
University of Calgary McGillivary Moot; Trail Advocacy Course and American Bar Association Negotiation Competition
Calgary Bar Association
Accreditation Course “Understanding the SEF # 44 Family Protection Endorsement”
Insurance Brokers Association of Alberta, Calgary 2012; Edmonton 2012
Accreditation Course “Understanding the SEF # 44 Family protection Endorsement”
Roger’s Insurance Ltd., September 2012, May 2015
Articling Student Bencher
Law Society of Manitoba