Jamie undertook a general practice for several years following his admission to the Bar, but his preferred area of practice has been primarily related to condominiums, homeowner associations and real estate since the mid 1990’s.
He works with condominium corporations, homeowners associations and their respective boards of directors, property managers, owners and developers on the multitude of issues that can arise in multi-unit developments. Those issues include governance, assessment of rights and responsibilities, bylaw interpretation, insurance, and bylaw enforcement and other litigation matters.
As well, Jamie has worked with many developers and their surveyors in addressing issues that can arise in obtaining condominium or subdivision plan registration or plan amendment, which may require legal action to obtain confirming orders from the court.
He has extensive experience in the workings of the Condominium Property Act and Regulation, the Land Titles Act and related case law. He has appeared before all levels of Court in Alberta. He has also been qualified as an expert in condominium matters and has testified as such before the Real Estate Council of Alberta.
Jamie is a former Director with the Canadian Condominium Institute, South Alberta Chapter.
- “Reserve Fund Issues”, 39th Annual Refresher Course, Real Estate, LESA, May, 2006
- Course materials for the National Association of Condominium Managers Registered Condominium Manager Accreditation Exam, Alberta, 2010
- Lecturer, Canadian Condominium Institute, 100, 200 and 300 A.C.C.I Designation Courses
- Steering Committee, National Association of Condominium Managers, 2009-2010
- Presenter, Alberta Land Surveyors' Association AGM, “Court Orders”, April, 2016
- Presenter, "Condominium Law", Alberta Land Surveyors Assocation AGM, Banff, Alberta, April 2014
- Presenter, Condominium Transactions for Legal Support Staff, LESA, December 2002
- Presenter, 39th Annual Refresher Course, LESA, May, 2006
- Presenter, “Legal Liability of Condominium Managers”, Association of Condominium Managers of Alberta (ACMA), June 2012
- Presenter, “Principal and Agency Law in Condominium Management”, ACMA, March 2011
- Presenter at numerous luncheons and seminars hosted by the Canadian Condominium Institute on various condominium matters
Professional Associations & Activities
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Condominium Institute
- Past director and current member of the University Heights Community
- Volunteered as coach of community hockey and soccer teams for 10 years