Neil is a business lawyer with over 25 years of experience providing comprehensive business-focused legal advice. He strives to provide his clients with responsive advice with an emphasis on “getting the deal done”.
Working with entrepreneurs, owner-operators and mid-sized enterprises, Neil provides legal advice on mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings, private market financings, equity financing, debt financings, stock exchange listings, corporate governance, regulatory compliance, re-organizations, shareholder agreements and contractual drafting, as well as unique contractual drafting and deal structuring.
Neil has extensive experience structuring and setting up real estate-based joint ventures, limited partnerships and management agreements. Neil also works with several mortgage investment entities in the private capital markets, dealing with share distributions, regulatory compliance and ongoing registrant obligations.
Some of Neil's clients include businesses involved in real estate building and development, oil and gas exploration and service, environmental services, manufacturing and construction.
Prior to becoming a lawyer Neil, was a member of the Canadian Association of Petroleum Landmen, and worked as negotiating landman in the exploration department of a large oil and gas company in Calgary. He continues to rely on his direct oil and gas experience as a landman in his legal practice today.
Neil is head of our firm's Private Capital Markets group. He was a member of our firm’s Executive Committee and Deputy Managing Partner from 2007 to March, 2017, and the practice group leader of our Corporate Commercial Group until 2012.
- Honorary Member of the Students' Union Association of the University of Calgary in recognition for passion and commitment to the Students' Union, April 2018
- Recipient of a Recognition Award for contribution in the merger of National Exempt Market Association (NEMA) and the Private Capital Markets Association (PCMA), 2018
- Presenter, 'Drafting Non-Competition Provisions', Federated Press' 12th Essentials of Commercial Contracts Conference, December 15-16, 2015
- 'Changeovers and the Impact of Business Structure on Labour and Employment Relations,' Insight Information's 10th Western Canada Employment and Labour Relations Forum, October 27-28, 2014
- 'Proposed Amendments by the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) to National Instrument 45-106,' June 10, 2014
- Presenter, Public Company Compliance Seminars, 2000-2002
- 'Going Public and Regulatory Compliance', Canadian Association of Petroleum Landmen (CAPL), 1997-1999
- Presenter, Lunch & Learn Seminar Series: Advice for Small Business, 2005-2006
Professional Associations & Activities
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Private Capital Markets Association of Canada (PCMA)
- President, Private Capital Markets Association, Alberta Chapter
- Committee Member, Private Capital Markets Association, Dealer & Advisor National Committee, 2016
- Member, NEMA Compliance & Regulatory Affairs Committee, 2015-2017
- Director of several private companies