Michael maintains an active civil litigation practice with a particular emphasis on construction litigation and commercial lease litigation.
In his construction litigation practice, Michael acts primarily on behalf of national homebuilders, also representing homeowners, general contractors and sub-trades. His construction experience focuses primarily on contractual disputes, negligence and lien claims, including disputes relating to the Alberta New Home Warranty Program and National Home Warranty Program.
With respect to Michael's commercial litigation lease practice, he acts primarily on behalf of commercial landlords.
Michael is also the litigation counsel in Alberta for Canada's largest provider of ATM services, and Canada’s largest underground utility locator.
Michael has extensive trial experience and makes regular appearances in the Alberta Court of Queen's Bench and the Alberta Court of Appeal.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Michael was an athlete on Canada's National Snowboard Team. He is actively involved in various professional sports organizations in Calgary and Vancouver, and was a torchbearer for the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Games. In his personal time, Michael is a pilot and enjoys playing drums, golf and hockey.
Michael is a member of the firm's Executive Committee, and is Chair of the firm's Articling Student Committee, contributing to the mentorship and development of our students.
Notable Case Decisions:
- Direct Cash Processing Partnership v. Best Foods, 2016 ABPC
- Terry Coleman v. Rocky Barstad Contracting Ltd., Rocky Barstad and Ronald Barstad, 2010 ABPC
- Top Notch Garage Builders and Cement Contractors Ltd. v. Susan Henning, 2011 ABPC
- Azar Vani and Bahman Sepassi v. Condominium Corporation No. 8911860, 2011 ABPC
- Pendosi Holdings Ltd. v. The Forzani Group Ltd., 2011 ABCA 171
- Alliance Concrete Ltd. v. Robertson, 2014 ABQB 401
- Lecturer at the University of Calgary, Faculty of Law for Student Legal Assistance - Civil Litigation
- Sessional instructor, Alberta CPLED course
Professional Associations & Activities
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Volunteer Lawyer Service in Calgary
- Motivational speaker with the HSBC Clean Air Champions Program and formerly with Esteem Team - Motivate Canada
- Volunteer lawyer on the roster at the Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada