Peter is a member of the Personal Injury Group at McLeod Law. His practice is focused on assisting ill and injured clients in recovering the compensation they are entitled to for the damages suffered in an accident, and disability insurance benefits owing to them because they are unable to work.
Peter has more than 20 years of experience with personal injury claims and working in the disability insurance claims area. He is recognized for his expertise nationally having worked with clients across Canada.
In the area of personal injury claims, Peter worked as a lawyer for insurance companies for many years, before choosing to exclusively represent Plaintiffs. Given his experience, Peter understands the barriers that often exist between each side in a personal injury action and he works diligently to overcome these barriers with a singular focus on obtaining fair compensation for Plaintiffs.
Peter uses his considerable experience litigating disability claims to achieve timely and beneficial results for his clients whose claims have been declined by their insurance company. Peter also has experience with life, critical illness, long term care and other health insurance claims, such as accidental death and dismemberment, as well as a variety of commercial litigation matters.
During his 21 years of practice, Peter has appeared at the Alberta Court of Appeal, Alberta Court of Queen's Bench, Alberta Provincial Court and the Federal Court of Canada. He has extensive experience with Alternative Dispute Resolution, resolving many matters both through private mediation, and the judicial dispute resolution process.
In his time away from law, Peter enjoys being active with his family and community through coaching or managing his children's many sport endeavors and participating in summer and winter sporting activities.
Notable Reported Decisions
- Reichert v Home Depot Canada Inc., 2017 ABQB 184 - Successful summary judgment hearing regarding liability in a slip and fall case
Trade Publications & Teaching Roles
- Guest lecturer University of Calgary Faculty of Law, Insurance Law
- Contributor to “Disability Insurance Law in Canada” by Eric J. Schjerning, Carswell, 2010
- “Demonstrative Evidence”, ACTLA, 2015
- “Choosing a mediator”, LESA, 2015
- Litigation potpourri, ACTLA, 2015
- How to prepare for mediation, LESA, 2015
- Fundamentals of life insurance claims, CBA Insurance section meeting
- Disability insurance claims, CBA Alberta mid-winter meeting
- Various industry and in-house client presentations including: Common problems with disability claims; Critical illness; Use of surveillance; Privacy considerations; Accidental death claims; and Summary judgment
Professional Associations & Activities
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Volunteer, Feed the Hungry
- Volunteer Coach, basketball and hockey
- Master of Ceremonies, community fund raising