Western Canada’s pioneers in the digital currency space
The McLeod Law Fintech team has been active in Canada’s digital currency community since 2013, at a time when the industry was in the early days and starting to take shape. Over the past five years our team has been involved in several major deals and developments. Some of our key work highlights include:
- Acting as Canadian counsel for Toronto based supply chain management ICO, 2017
- Acting as Canadian counsel to one of Canada’s first digital currency exchanges registered with FINTRAC and partnered with a leading Canadian banking institution, 2017
- Acted as Alberta counsel to one of Canada’s first digital currency exchanges, 2014
We work with clients to provide practical advice that ensures they are meeting the regulatory requirements so they can focus on achieving their business objectives. Our Fintech team combines a cross-section of expertise in financial services, regulatory, securities, litigation and wealth management, that is tailored to this unique sector.
Our Fintech team acts for clients in the blockchain and digital currency space. Clients come to us for advice in a range of stages and development, including:
- Developing a bitcoin product or other cryptocurrency product
- Opening a cryptocurrency exchange with Canadian customers
- Raising funds through the launch of an Initial Coin Offering or Initial Token Offering
- Creating a cryptocurrency investment fund
- Creating a bitcoin mining farm
As in any financial services sector, there is an inherent risk of fraud. Our team includes experienced litigation lawyers that represent Plaintiff’s in matters involving crypto-related fraud, throughout Canada. We also assist in the recovery of frozen or illegally transferred digital currency assets.
For individuals with digital assets, our team includes Wills & Estates lawyers that help clients with incorporating cryptocurrency and other digital assets in their wills and estates, and powers of attorney.
Clients in the blockchain and digital currency space require tailored advice and legal solutions to advance their goals and ensure adherence to the complex legal, business and regulatory requirements. Our team assists clients in matters involving:
Incorporation and Business Organization of Fintech Entities
- Formation of corporate and other legal entities, tailored to Fintech start-ups
- Corporate agreements tailored to start-ups and established businesses: shareholder agreements, joint venture agreements, licensing agreements
Financing and Raising Capital
- Traditional equity offerings: private placements, offering memorandums, prospectus offerings
- Initial Coin or Token Offerings, air-drop token projects, crowdfunding
Compliance and Regulatory
- Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act, associated regulations
- Provincial consumer protection legislation
- Provincial securities legislation
- Defending regulatory enforcement action
- Resolving cease trade orders
Intellectual Property Protection
- Trademark services
Employment and Severance
- Employment contracts for Fintech start-ups and established businesses
- Employment litigation services
For international resources, visit our affiliate organization, TAGLaw's Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Knowledge Center here.