My role is to provide practical strategic legal advice to my clients that allows them to accomplish their business objectives.
Eugene is a trusted advisor to a number of public and private companies. His practice focuses on the areas of securities, corporate finance, and mergers and acquisitions.
He has extensive experience advising companies on initial public offerings, private placement financings, corporate governance matters, securities reporting, and general regulatory compliance issues, private equity funds, purchase and sale transactions, limited partnership offerings, private mutual funds trust offerings, qualifying transactions, shareholder agreements, and corporate restructuring and reorganizations.
He has provided advice in a wide variety of business sectors, including cannabis, financial services, oil & gas, oilfield services, real estate, mineral exploration, alternative energy, manufacturing, biotechnology and life sciences, pharmaceutical, health care, telecommunications, mobile/wireless and information technology and software development.
Eugene is also a director and officer of a number of private and public companies.
- 1993 University of British Columbia, LLB
- 1990 University of Alberta, BS
- 1995 Alberta
Capital Markets & Corporate Finance – Cannabis, Real Estate, Technology and Diversified Industries
- Advised on the formation of Rocky Mountain Marijuana Inc., a late-stage ACMPR applicant
- Advised Rocky Mountain Marijuana Inc. in its initial seed funding round for approximately $1.6 million
- Acted for Rocky Mountain Marijuana Inc. in its private placement of common shares for approximately $2.5 million
- Acted for RMMI Corp. (parent company of Rocky Mountain Marijuana Inc.) on its initial public offering of $4.4 million and listing on the CSE
- Acted for Bertram Capital Finance Inc., a Colorado-based company that provides financing to companies in the cannabis industry, in its private placement of approximately $1.1 million
- Acted for Bertram Capital Finance Inc., in its private placement of approximately $8 million
- Acted for CannaTest Photonics Ltd. a technology company with new spectroscopy - based technology for the cannabis and hemp industries in its initial private placement of common shares for proceeds of approximately $2 million
- Acted for CannaTest Photonics Ltd. on its brokered and non-brokered financing lead by PI Financial Inc. totaling approximately $9.1 million
- Acted for a syndicate of debenture holders in a $15 million USD private placement of notes into ACC Enterprises LLC, a Nevada based cannabis cultivator
- Counsel to Optimus U.S. Real Estate Fund, on $24 million in private placement financings
- Counsel to Optimus U.S. Real Estate Fund on a $10 million private placement with a private equity firm
- Counsel to an Optimus U.S. Real Fund on its $30 million private placement financing with two institutional pension funds
- Advised a network security technology corporation on $3 million private placement financings
- Acted for Genesis Land Development Corp., one of Alberta's largest land developers, in its $56.7 million limited partnership financing
- Acted for Genesis Land Development Corp. in a $25 million limited partnership financing
- Acted for Genesis Land Development Corp. in a $9 million limited partnership financing
- Counsel to Synodon Inc., a remote sensing technology company, on its $2.65 million initial public offering
- Counsel to a real estate issuer on a $6 million debenture financing
- Counsel to Canada Monetary Corp., an investment company, on its $3 million brokered private placement of convertible debentures
Capital Markets & Corporate Finance – Oil & Gas, Mining and Oilfield Services
- Counsel to Petrodorado Energy Ltd. on its $75 million brokered equity financing lead by Canaccord Capital together with Genuity Capital Markets, Macquarie Capital Markets Inc. and Raymond James Ltd.
- Counsel to C-Free Power Corp., a junior renewable energy company, in its $4.2 million equity financing with a large European private equity fund
- Advised MBase Commerce Inc. on its $9.6 million brokered financing with Paradigm Capital Inc.
- Counsel to Alloy Capital Corp. on its non-brokered and brokered financing co-lead by Haywood Securities Inc. and Byron Securities Limited totaling $7.7 million
- Counsel to a Cedar Mountain Exploration, a junior mineral exploration company, on its $1.6 million initial public offering
- Acted for Q-Gold Resources Ltd., a junior mineral exploration company, on its $1.9 million brokered equity financing
- Advised Northern Star Mining Corp. in its $7 million brokered equity financing
- Counsel to a syndicate of investment dealers lead by Haywood Securities Inc. on a $9 million international oil & gas equity financing for Prospero Hydrocarbons Inc.
- Acted for an oilfield service company on its initial $3.25 million seed private placement financing
- Acted for an oilfield service company on a $22 million private placement financing
- Acted for an oilfield service company on a $5 million private placement financing
- Acted for an oilfield service company on a $40 million private placement of convertible notes with a large institutional hedge fund
- Counsel to a syndicate of investment dealers lead by Clarus Securities Inc. and including Industrial Alliance Securities Inc. on a $10 million bought deal equity private placement for oilfield services company Lonestar West Inc.
Mergers & Acquisitions – Cannabis, Technology, Oil & Gas, Energy, Mining, Oilfield Services, and Diversified Industries
- Advised on the sale of a commercial trailer business and associated real estate for $11.6 million
- Advised Quorum Information Technologies on its $14 million acquisition of automotive software company DealerMine Inc. and its affiliated subsidiaries
- Advised Bertram Capital Finance, Inc. on its $11 million merger with Metropolitan Energy Resources Ltd. to form Cannabis One Holdings Inc., and subsequent listing on the CSE
- Advised CannaTest Photonics Ltd., a technology company with new spectroscopy-based technology for the cannabis and hemp industries, on its $41 million merger with Snow Eagle Resources Ltd. to form FluroTech Ltd. and subsequent listing on the TSX Venture Exchange Inc.
- Advised Infusion Bioscience Inc., a company with leading edge cannabis extraction technology, in the $45 million sale of its wholly owned subsidiary, Infusion Bioscience Canada Inc. to Sproutly Inc., licensed cannabis cultivator listed on the Canadian Securities Exchange
- Advised Quorum Information Technologies on its acquisition of software company Autovance Technologies Inc.
- Acted for CannaTest Photonics Ltd. in its acquisition of spectroscopy-based technology in the cannabis & hemp industries for $3.5 million
- Counsel to Petrodorado Energy Ltd. on its $25 million merger and reverse take-over of Cap-Link Ventures Ltd.
- Counsel to Lamplighter Energy Ltd. on its $2.2 million reverse take-over by Blackdog Resources Ltd.
- Advised mBase Commerce Inc. on its $25 million merger with Gwelan Supply Ltd. to form Bri-Chem Corp.
- Counsel to Sydco Energy Ltd. on its $8.5 million acquisition of oil & gas assets, mid-stream processing plant and concurrent credit facility
- Counsel to Alloy Capital Corp. on its $9.9 million reverse take-over by Lancaster Exploration Limited
- Acted for Z28 Capital Corp. on its $15.7 million merger with online media technology company illumiCell Corp.
- Acted for an oilfield service company on its $28.5 million acquisition of service rig assets
- Acted for an oilfield service company on its $59.5 million acquisition of drilling rig assets
- International Advisory Experts 2019 Award Winner, Mergers & Acquisitions - Canada
- Canadian Securities Institute
- Securities Law & Regulation Certificate
- Mount Royal University, Faculty of Continuing Education
- Introduction to the Petroleum Industry
- Oil & Gas Agreements II
- University of Calgary, Faculty of Continuing Education
- Evaluation of Canadian Oil & Gas Properties
- Law Society of Alberta
- Association of Corporate Growth, Calgary Chapter
- Petroleum Acquisition and Divestiture Association
- Private Capital Markets Association of Canada
- Valhalla Private Capital
- Calgary Achievement Centre for Youth, 2008-2016
- Brenda Strafford Society for the Prevention of Domestic Violence, 2003-2013
- Calgary Achievement Centre for Youth, 2008-2016
- Teaching Roles & Speaking Engagements
Managing a Public Company
TSX Venture Exchange, November 2012
Rules and Tools Workshop
TSX Venture Exchange, October 2010
Equity Compensation Webinar
Canadian Securities Exchange, April 2020
Private Equity - A Vehicle for Energy Service Company Growth
International Energy Capital Forum, Global Petroleum Show, June 2014
Listing on the TSX - Benefits and Process
Excellence in Oil and Gas Investment Event, Sydney, Australia, March 2012
Canada's Capital Pool Company: Raising Money North of the Border
The Reverse Merger Conference, Los Angeles, California, June 2011