I will be your trusted counsel, guiding you through any complex or difficult dispute, to achieve the optimal resolution.
With over 44 years of experience as counsel in litigation and disputes - including the past 25 years focusing on Trusts and Estates cases — Jeff assists clients in resolving matters with negotiation, mediation or, if necessary, litigation - either to a settlement or to a court trial or hearing.
Called to the bars of Alberta, British Columbia and California, Jeff’s practice in both Canada and California focuses on litigation and alternative dispute resolution (“ADR”) involving all types of Trusts, Wills, Estates, and Probate cases, assisting trustees, executors, beneficiaries, or other parties. Jeff also handles complex Canadian litigation matters involving securities law, business and corporate matters, construction law and insolvency and restructuring. His numerous cross-border and international matters — and second home in the Palm Springs area in California — motivated Jeff to become a licensed California attorney, able to represent clients on both sides of the border and on Canadian and U.S. matters.
Jeff has successfully represented clients in cases at all levels of Canadian courts in Alberta and British Columbia, as well as Canada’s Federal Court and Supreme Court. In addition to Jeff’s extensive experience representing clients in court, he has significant training and experience in ADR, not only as counsel for parties, but also frequently as a respected neutral mediator in over 50 cases.
- 2003 Certificate in Arbitration
- 1999 Certificate in Conflict Management (A.A.M.S.)
- 1977 Dalhousie University, LLB
- 2021 California
- 1992 British Columbia
- 1978 Alberta
- Represented two of three joint Executors in a highly contested multi-million-dollar Estate involving complex estate accounting matters involving operating businesses and estate assets in the U.S. and Canada.
- Represented high-net worth individuals to reorganize complex cross-border inter-vivos trusts and obtained Court approval for variation of Trust terms.
- Represented Executors in resolving trust issues involving property and claims in multiple international jurisdictions and obtaining Court approval for resolution of significant taxation claims between competing Canadian and UK Estates.
- Represented professional design and engineering firm in LCIA international arbitration proceedings involving $73 Million of claims.
- Represented two creditors of Blue Range Resources Corporation in insolvency proceedings in the Alberta Queen’s Bench and the Alberta Court of Appeal. Leave to appeal was successfully dismissed by the Supreme Court of Canada
- Defended many individuals and corporations in Alberta Securities Commission, MFDA, IDA and IIROC hearings and settlement agreements, and in Ontario and British Columbia Securities Commission matters.
- "Practical Suggestions From the Trenches for Trusts and Estates Mediations", ADR Perspectives, May 2021
HONOURS AND AWARDS
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel, 2002; now known as King's Counsel as of September 2022.
- Canadian Bar Association, Securities Law and Business Law subsections
- Canadian Bar Association, Insurance Law Southern subsection
- Former executive member and chairman
- Canadian Bar Association
- Legislative review committee
- Mentor program
- Calgary Bar Association
- Advocates Society
- Alberta Advisory Committee to the Advocates’ Society
- Turnaround Management Association
- Garrison Square Condominium Association
- ADR Institute of Canada
- Chartered mediator, 2001-2011
- Teaching Roles & Speaking Engagements
Advocates' Society, May 2019
How to Avoid Litigation Resulting From Train Wreck Estates
McLeod Law LLP Wills, Trusts & Estates Update, March 2019
Advocates’ Society, 2012-present
University of Calgary Faculty of Law, 1982-1991
University of Calgary, 1991
Ensuring Legal and Ethical Conduct by the Corporation and the Board
Federated Press 15th Course: Reinventing the Corporate Secretary, October 2014