Areas Of Expertise
- Estate Planning
- Estate Administration
- Estate Dispute Resolution
- Trust Planning
- Wills, Trusts & Estates
- Guardianship & Trusteeship
Estate Dispute Resolution
Estate litigation is a relatively new area of practice, and only a small number of lawyers have this experience. We’re part of this small group. We’ve handled matters on behalf of beneficiaries, adult interdependent partners, dependents, and personal representatives, including:
- Dependent relief claims
- Adult interdependent partner claims and spousal claims
- Removal of personal representatives who will not or cannot fulfill their obligations and responsibilities
- Ensuring administration of an estate is proper and adheres to the terms of the will and/or the wishes of the testator
- Freezing assets of an estate when a dispute arises
- Determining capacity of a testator and undue influence in the creation of a will
- Administration of an estate where another will is produced
- Making sure personal representatives fulfill their duties and obligations according to the law
We understand how emotional these disputes can be. While a peaceful process is always the goal, there are times when it’s unavoidable. We’ll work with you to identify the core issues and give you the best options to resolve them as quickly and amicably as possible. We aim to reach a solution without going to court, and our extensive experience with mediation (both private and judicial) can help. We can even act as a neutral mediator for all parties.
If a trial is unavoidable, you can still rest assured knowing we’ve litigated successfully at all levels of Alberta court.
Lawyers who pick up the phone
You need a lawyer who takes the time to understand your situation and goals. Someone who is available to talk to you and will reply to emails quickly. You can decide how you prefer to communicate with us, and we’ll make sure you get the same level of service throughout the process.
Adding complicated legal jargon to an already complex situation isn’t helpful. We always take the time to explain things and communicate in plain English.
Access to more resources
We have strong relationships with other professionals, like accountants and financial advisors, and will manage and coordinate them for you when needed.
When additional resources are required, we can leverage the knowledge of our Real Estate, Business, and Family Law groups.