I will be your trusted counsel, guiding you through any complex or difficult dispute, to achieve the optimal resolution.
With over 42 years of experience and expertise as litigation legal counsel, Jeff assists clients in resolving disputes in various areas. His current focus is directed at litigation and ADR involving all types of matters involving trusts and estates, acting variously for trustees, executors, beneficiaries, and other parties involved in wills, estates or trusts litigation. He also handles complex litigation matters involving securities law, business and corporate matters, construction law and insolvency and restructuring.
Jeff is called to the bars of Alberta and British Columbia and is a provisionally licensed lawyer in the state of California. He has successfully represented clients across a range of litigation matters at all levels of courts in Alberta, B.C. and Manitoba, as well as the Federal Court and Supreme Court of Canada. Jeff has also been admitted to the Manitoba Bar for two inter-provincial cases, and to the Ontario Bar to represent a financial institution in a Canada-wide restructuring of a major multi-jurisdictional corporation.
In addition to Jeff’s extensive experience in representing clients in court, Jeff has significant experience in alternative dispute resolution (ADR). He has acted as counsel in numerous arbitrations and mediations, and has appeared many times before administrative tribunals including the Alberta and Ontario Securities Commissions, the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada, and the Mutual Funds Dealers Association, among others.
- 2003 Certificate in Arbitration
- 1999 Certificate in Conflict Management (A.A.M.S.)
- 1977 Dalhousie University, LLB
- 2021 California (Provisionally Licensed Lawyer)
- 1992 British Columbia
- 1978 Alberta
- Represented two of three joint Executors in a highly contested multi-million dollar Estate involving complex estate accounting matters.
- Represented high-net worth individuals to reorganize complex cross-border inter-vivos trusts, and obtained Court approval for variation of Trust terms.
- Represented Executors in resolving trust issues involving property and claims in multiple international jurisdictions, and obtaining Court approval for resolution of significant taxation claims between competing Canadian and UK Estates.
- Represented professional design and engineering firm in LCIA international arbitration proceedings involving $73 Million of claims.
- Represented two creditors of Blue Range Resources Corporation in insolvency proceedings in the Alberta Queen’s Bench and the Alberta Court of Appeal. Leave to appeal was successfully dismissed by the Supreme Court of Canada
- Defended many individuals and corporations in Alberta Securities Commission, MFDA, IDA and IIROC hearings and settlement agreements, and in Ontario and British Columbia Securities Commission matters.
- "Practical Suggestions From the Trenches for Trusts and Estates Mediations", ADR Perspectives, May 2021
HONOURS AND AWARDS
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel, 2002
- Canadian Bar Association, Securities Law and Business Law subsections
- Canadian Bar Association, Insurance Law Southern subsection
- Former executive member and chairman
- Canadian Bar Association
- Legislative review committee
- Mentor program
- Calgary Bar Association
- Advocates Society
- Alberta Advisory Committee to the Advocates’ Society
- Turnaround Management Association
- Garrison Square Condominium Association
- ADR Institute of Canada
- Chartered mediator, 2001-2011
- Teaching Roles & Speaking Engagements
Advocates' Society, May 2019
How to Avoid Litigation Resulting From Train Wreck Estates
McLeod Law LLP Wills, Trusts & Estates Update, March 2019
Advocates’ Society, 2012-present
University of Calgary Faculty of Law, 1982-1991
University of Calgary, 1991
Ensuring Legal and Ethical Conduct by the Corporation and the Board
Federated Press 15th Course: Reinventing the Corporate Secretary, October 2014