I will be your trusted counsel, guiding you through any complex or difficult dispute, to achieve the optimal resolution.
Jeff has over 40 years of experience as litigation counsel. He has resolved disputes at all levels of courts in Alberta, BC, and Manitoba, the Federal Court and Supreme Court of Canada, and the Alberta and Ontario Securities Commissions in:
- trusts and estates
Jeff also has significant experience in alternative dispute resolution (ADR) in many arbitrations and mediations.
- 2003 Arbitration Certificate
- 1999 Conflict Management (Mediation) Certificate
- 1977 Dalhousie University, LLB
- 1992 British Columbia
- 1978 Alberta
- Re Fauth, 2017, ABASC 3 - Successfully acted for respondent in an application to further and better compel pre-hearing disclosure in a Securities Enforcement proceeding.
- Represented Campbell’s Industrial Supply Ltd. and National-Oilwell Canada Ltd. in a claim against Enron Canada Corp., in the Alberta Queen’s Bench, Alberta Court of Appeal, and succeeded in denying leave to appeal in The Supreme Court of Canada, 2001.
- Represented creditors in CCAA proceedings regarding Blue Range Resources Corporation, in the Alberta Queen’s Bench.
- Defended many individuals and corporations in Alberta Securities Commission Enforcement hearings and settlement agreements, and in MFDA, IDA, and IIROC matters.
- Many trial decisions in the Supreme Court and Provincial Court of British Columbia, involving different litigation matters.
HONOURS AND AWARDS
- Awarded Queen’s Counsel, 2002
- Canadian Bar Association, Securities Law and Business Law subsections
- Canadian Bar Association, Insurance Law Southern subsection
- Former executive member and chairman
- Canadian Bar Association
- Legislative review committee
- Mentor program
- Calgary Bar Association
- Advocates Society
- Alberta Advisory Committee to the Advocates’ Society
- Turnaround Management Association
- Garrison Square Condominium Association
- ADR Institute of Canada
- Chartered mediator, 2001-2011
- Teaching Roles & Speaking Engagements
Advocates’ Society, 2012-present
University of Calgary Faculty of Law, 1982-1991
University of Calgary, 1991
Ensuring Legal and Ethical Conduct by the Corporation and the Board
Federated Press 15th Course: Reinventing the Corporate Secretary, October 2014