Peter W. Cline
I do my best to give some help to the helpless, and some hope to the hopeless.
Peter has over 25 years experience with disability insurance law and personal injury claims. He helps ill and injured clients recover the disability insurance benefits owing to them because they are unable to work, and the compensation they are entitled to for the damages suffered as a result of an accident.
For 20 years Peter acted as defence counsel for automobile, life, and health insurance companies before committing exclusively to advocating for the ill and injured through disability insurance law. His keen understanding of how insurers and their legal counsel assess and value disability claims, combined with his strong reputation and longstanding relationships with insurance companies, helps achieve the best outcome for his ill and injured clients.
Clients appreciate Peter’s approach to addressing their specific needs by engaging other specialized lawyers in the firm.
- 1995 University of Alberta, LLB
- 1990 University of Calgary, BA (Honours)
- 1996 Alberta
Peter has litigated virtually all types of disability, illness, and injury claims and is nationally recognized for his expertise, having worked with clients across Canada. He has significant experience with life, critical illness, long-term care, and other health and disability insurance claims, such as accidental death and dismemberment, as well as a variety of commercial litigation matters. He has appeared at all court levels in Alberta and the Federal Court of Canada.
- Overcame an alleged misrepresentation to obtain critical illness benefits for a client who suffered from Multiple Sclerosis
- Assisted in settling retired clients’ motor vehicle injury claims for $300,000
- Assisted in settling a seriously injured client’s motor vehicle injury claim for $1.75 million dollars
- Obtained an order from the court directing a $75,000 advance payment to a seriously injured client who needed financial assistance
- Defeated a court application by a disability insurer to strike out a client’s disability claim for being out of time
- Negotiated a lump sum settlement for a disability insurance client who needed funds to deal with other debts
- Successfully defended a summary judgment application before the court with respect to a slip and fall incident
- Obtained long-term disability benefits for various clients who suffered from such conditions as MS, depression, Lyme disease, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic pain, anxiety, PTSD, osteoarthritis, autoimmune disorders, musculo-skeletal conditions and injuries
- Assisted in settling injury claims for clients who were attacked and bitten by a dog
- Settled injury claims for clients involved in all types of motor vehicle accidents, bicycle accidents and slip and fall incidents
Keywords: disability insurance benefits; long-term disability; disability law; Calgary life and disability; disability lawyer; short-term disability; disability claim denial; disability insurance lawyer Calgary; disability insurance law; disability insurance claims.
Honours and Awards
- Peter is recognized by The Best Lawyers in Canada 2023 for work in Corporate and Commercial Litigation and Personal Injury Litigation.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Calgary Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Feed the Hungry
- Basketball and hockey
- Volunteer coach
- Community fundraising
- Master of ceremonies
- Feed the Hungry
- Teaching Roles & Speaking Engagements
'Focus on the People' feature on Managing mental health disability claims - short-term and long-term disability insurance claims
Business In Calgary Magazine
University of Calgary Faculty of Law
How to prepare for mediation
Legal Education Society of Alberta (LESA), 2015
Fundamentals of Life Insurance Claims
CBA Insurance Section meeting
Accident claims, Disability claims, and Critical illness
Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association
Disability Insurance Claims
CBA Alberta mid-winter meeting