Estate planning is the most essential yet overlooked way to preserve and enhance family wealth and harmony.
Roy is a partner and head of the Wills, Trusts & Estates group. With over 25 years of wealth management and protection experience, he advises high net worth individuals, their families, family offices, and related businesses. His focus is on international, U.S./cross-border planning, trust creation, and compliance.
Before joining McLeod Law, Roy was in-house legal counsel to major Canadian and international financial institutions, including 10 years in Bermuda and Switzerland.
Roy is fluent in French and functional in German.
- 2001 Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- 1992 Université de Moncton, LLB
- 1993 Alberta
Premier advisor to mid to high net worth individuals and their families, businesses, and teams in trusts and estate administration, business succession, and incapacity planning.
Clients have highly recommended Roy, giving him a rating of 5 out of 5 on Martindale Hubbell and Canadian-Lawyers.ca.
HONOURS AND AWARDS
- Client rating of 5/5 by Martindale Hubbell and Canadian-Lawyers.ca
- French Consul
- Honorary Consul for France in Calgary, 2014-present
RECENT MEDIA COVERAGE
- Quoted in “Baby Boom: Family Complications,” The Financial Advisors Association of Canada, Forum, October 2015
- Interviewed in "The three biggest hurdles to overcome in financial planning," The Financial Post, April 27, 2015
- Interviewed in “Parker: Calgary lawyer Roy Klassen builds French connections,” The Calgary Herald, November 25, 2014
- Law Society of Alberta
- Canadian Bar Association
- Wills & Trusts Law Section (Southern Alberta Branch)
- Trust Institute Canada
- Society of Estates and Trusts Practitioners
Calgary Accueil (French Expat Business Club)
Swiss Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- Director, 2009-2014
- Teaching Roles & Speaking Engagements
How to Avoid Litigation Resulting From Train Wreck Estates
McLeod Law LLP Wills, Trusts & Estates Update, March 2019
Trusts and Equity Course
McGill University Faculty of Law (Montreal), Fall 2018
Elizabeth’s Legacy: The short (and painful) history of the Rule against Perpetuities
CBA Alberta (South) Wills and Trusts, June 2017
Estate Planning for the Blended Family
Legal Education Society of Alberta (LESA), 48th Annual Refresher Course, April 2015
Trust Drafting Tips & Traps - Including the Impact of US Family Members
STEP Calgary, November 2013
Planning for the Aging Client
Legal Education Society of Alberta, 2012 (Edmonton & Calgary)
Staff presentations at various financial institutions