I vigorously advocate for my clients’ goals while using creative and common-sense solutions.
Shayi has been practicing family law exclusively since 2009 and is experienced with litigation and all types of dispute resolution methods.
Shayi is committed to resolving high-conflict situations as effectively and efficiently as possible. She also helps protect clients' interests through prenuptial, cohabitation, and post-nuptial agreements as hindsight is not a preventative remedy. Shayi is also a Mediator, with the goal of helping families reach a timely, cost effective, and amicable resolution.
Born in Shanghai and raised in St. John’s, Newfoundland, Shayi lives with her husband and is a proud parent to four children (a daughter and three fur kids).
- 2008 University of New Brunswick, LLB
- 2005 Memorial University of Newfoundland, BComm
- 2009 Alberta
- Successfully represented clients for seeking years of retroactive child support and spousal support payable.
- Successful in various high-conflict cost applications and arbitrations, including getting indemnity and/or double costs.
- Successfully uncovered undisclosed assets and client successfully received compensation and costs for same.
- Assisting clients with compelling disclosure on a contested basis.
- Represented various clients successfully applying for restraining orders and defending against restraining claims.
- Successfully represented clients for parenting and mobility applications.
- Speaks conversational Mandarin Chinese
- Law Society of Alberta
- Canadian Bar Association
- Calgary Bar Association
- Calgary AFCC
The Advocate's Society, Family Law Group
- Secretary and Practice Group Lead, 2023-present