McLeod Law



All fields are required.

The convenience of two offices (downtown and south Calgary) makes it easier to meet with your lawyers.

Calgary South

300, 14505 Bannister Road SE
Calgary, AB T2X 3J3

Get Directions

Calgary Downtown

Manulife Place
500, 707 - 5 Street SW
Calgary, AB T2P 1V8

Get Directions


What should you do after a motor vehicle collision?

| Download PDF

Icy roads have undoubtedly contributed to a large number of motor vehicle collisions in Alberta this winter.
Unfortunately, unlike the ice that will melt with the coming of the spring, repercussions of these collisions
may be long lasting. To give yourself the best chance at minimizing negative effects of a motor vehicle
collision, we recommend the following:

  1. Obtain information of the drivers of all vehicles involved in the collision, including their full name,
    address, driver’s license number, license plate, and insurance information.
  2. Take pictures of the damage to your vehicle and any visible injuries.

  3. Report the accident to the police, and obtain a copy of the police report. (Accidents that result in
    personal injury must be reported to the police.)

  4. If you are injured, seek medical help. You may go directly to the hospital by ambulance or follow up with
    your family doctor or if you do not have a family doctor, at a walk-in clinic. Be aware that not all injuries
    are immediately apparent at the collision scene.

  5. If you are injured, seek treatment. Follow the instructions of your treating medical professionals. The
    insurer of the vehicle that you were in at the time of the accident has “Accident Benefits” that will
    pay for physical treatments such as physiotherapy, chiropractic care, massage therapy, acupuncture,
    psychological counselling, dental care, etc., at no extra cost to you or the policy holder. (There are
    monetary limits to certain types of treatments.)

  6. Report the collision to your insurance company.

  7. Get legal advice. A personal injury lawyer can advise you on your rights and help you determine whether
    you should pursue a personal injury claim.

McLeod Law gives free consultations. If we are able to take your case, you do not pay a fee, unless we win. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident please contact a lawyer in our Personal Injury Group.

View More Resources

Sign up to receive news and updates.