McLeod Law



All fields are required.

The convenience of two offices (downtown and south Calgary) makes it easier to meet with your lawyers.

Calgary South

300, 14505 Bannister Road SE
Calgary, AB T2X 3J3

Get Directions

Calgary Downtown

Manulife Place
500, 707 - 5 Street SW
Calgary, AB T2P 1V8

Get Directions


What should you do after a motor vehicle collision?

| Download PDF

Being in a motor vehicle collision can be very stressful. There are some basic things you can do, after the fact:

  1. If you are injured, seek medical help. You may go directly to the hospital by ambulance or follow up with your family doctor or if you do not have a family doctor, at a walk-in clinic. Be aware that not all injuries are immediately apparent at the collision scene. All injuries should be reported to all of your treatment providers. Don't leave out any details. 

  2. Report the accident to the police, and obtain a copy of the police report. (Accidents that result in personal injury must be reported to the police.)

  3. Take pictures of the damage to your vehicle and any visible injuries.

  4. If you are injured, seek treatment. Follow the instructions of your treating medical professionals. The insurer of the vehicle that you were in at the time of the accident has “Accident Benefits” that will pay for physical treatments such as physiotherapy, chiropractic care, massage therapy, acupuncture, psychological counselling, dental care, etc., at no extra cost to you or the policy holder. (There are monetary limits to certain types of treatments.)

  5. Immediately report the collision to your insurance company.

  6. Get legal advice. A personal injury lawyer can advise you on your rights and help you determine whether you should pursue a personal injury claim.

McLeod Law offers a free consultation - call any lawyer in our Personal Injury group. If we are able to take your case, you do not pay a fee, unless we win.

View More Resources

Sign up to receive news and updates.