Cryptocurrency and Blockchain
Western Canada’s pioneers in digital currency
McLeod Law's Cryptocurrency and Blockchain group has been active in Canada’s digital currency community since 2013, at a time when the industry was in the early days and starting to take shape. Over the past five years, we’ve been involved in several major deals and developments, including acting as:
- Canadian counsel for a Toronto-based supply-chain management ICO (2017)
- Canadian counsel to one of Canada’s first digital currency exchanges registered with FINTRAC and partnered with a leading Canadian banking institution (2017)
- Alberta counsel to one of Canada’s first digital currency exchanges (2014)
Clients in the blockchain and digital currency space need tailored advice and solutions to meet their goals—and the complex legal, business, and regulatory requirements. We’ll work with you to identify issues, provide practical advice, and make sure you meet requirements. We have experience in financial services, regulatory, securities, litigation, and wealth management in this unique sector.
We can help with:
- Incorporation and business organization of cryptocurrency entities
- Financing and raising capital
- Compliance and regulatory
- Intellectual property protection
- Employment and severance
Our clients come to us for advice in a range of stages and development, including:
- Developing a bitcoin product or other cryptocurrency product
- Opening a cryptocurrency exchange with Canadian customers
- Raising funds through the launch of an Initial Coin Offering or Initial Token Offering
- Creating a cryptocurrency investment fund
- Creating a bitcoin mining farm
Investing in your business
We take the time to understand your business. Having a single-contact lawyer who knows your history helps us create efficiencies, which means we’re up to speed and ready to help when you need it. It also means we maintain both a big-picture strategic view and day-to-day knowledge of your business. We know how to speak your language and simplify complex issues. Legal jargon stays in legal documents—so you can move forward with confidence.
We’ve developed strong relationships with the investment community, including brokers, lenders, and regulators. You’ll benefit from our network and those connections because we make introductions between our clients as often as possible.