Jared has been practicing almost exclusively in the area of estate litigation since 2007, handling complex matters on behalf of beneficiaries, adult interdependent partners, dependents and personal representatives.
Estate litigation is a relatively new area of practice with few lawyers having expertise in this area. Jared is one of those experienced few, and regularly receives referrals from other lawyers at other firms.
He has appeared in Provincial Court and Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta. His work has included complicated estate issues, such as:
- Disputed Wills
- Removal of Executors
- Resulting trusts
- Dependent Relief claims
Jared has acted on behalf of the following:
- Beneficiaries to ensure they receive their entitlement
- Adult interdependent partners in Dependent Relief Act claims to ensure they receive sufficient funds from the estate to ensure a level of care to which they are entitled
- Beneficiaries, to ensure the wishes of the testator are followed, and disputed dependent relief claims by spouse and/or adult interdependent partner
- Utilized actions such as freezing estate assets, filing court pleadings, Judicial Dispute
- Resolution and mediation as a means to resolving matters on behalf of our clients
Jared presents educational seminars to banking and other financial institutions, regarding estate litigation and on the pitfalls of jointly held assets.
- Board of Directors, MADD Calgary, 2015 - present
- Presenter, “‘Caught Red-Handed’: Litigation Against Attorneys in Trouble”, Legal Education Society of Alberta (LESA), April 2016
- "Acting as Attorney under an Enduring Power of Attorney", Estate Planning Council, AGM, November 3, 2014
- "Attorney School: For Those Who Are a Power of Attorney for a Loved One", Knowledge Bureau, August 2013