With over 35 years of experience and expertise as litigation legal counsel, Jeff assists clients in resolving disputes involving trusts and estates, securities, corporate and commercial matters, directors and shareholders, and insolvency and restructuring.
Jeff has successfully represented clients across a range of litigation matters, at all levels of courts in Alberta, B.C. and Manitoba, as well as the Federal Court and Supreme Court of Canada. In fact, Jeff was admitted to the Manitoba Bar to argue two inter-provincial cases, one involving the bankruptcy of a large real estate holding company and another for the inter-provincial licensing of a health services corporation. Jeff was also admitted to the Ontario Bar to represent a financial institution in the Olympia and York restructuring.
In addition to Jeff’s extensive experience in representing clients in court, Jeff has significant experience in alternative dispute resolution (ADR). He has acted as counsel in numerous arbitrations and mediations, and has appeared many times before administrative tribunals, including the Alberta Securities Commission and Ontario Securities Commission.
Jeff has represented debtors and secured and unsecured creditors in insolvency and restructuring proceedings at all levels of courts, including the Supreme Court of Canada.
Notable Reported Decisions
- Re Fauth, 2017, ABASC 3 - Successfully acted for Respondent in a application to further and better compel pre-hearing disclosure in a Securties Enforcement proceeding
- Represented Campbell’s Industrial Supply Ltd. and National-Oilwell Canada Ltd. in a claim against Enron Canada Corp., in the Alberta Queen’s Bench, Alberta Court of Appeal, and succeeded in denying leave to appeal in The Supreme Court of Canada, 2001
- Represented creditors in CCAA proceedings regarding Blue Range Resources Corporation, in the Alberta Queen’s Bench.
- Defended many individuals and corporations in Alberta Securities Commission Enforcement hearings and settlement agreements, and in MFDA, IDA, and IIROC matters.
- Had many trial decisions in the Supreme Court and Provincial Court of British Columbia, involving varied litigation matters
- “Expanding Liability Horizons, Civil Liability for Secondary Market Disclosure,” Corporate Liability, Federated Press, Vol. XII, No. 2, 2007
- Instructor, Trial Advocacy, Advocates’ Society, 2012-present
- Instructor, Trial Advocacy, University of Calgary Faculty of Law, 1982-1991
- Sessional Instructor, Insurance Law, University of Calgary Faculty of Law, 1991
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, ‘Ensuring Legal and Ethical Conduct by the Corporation and the Board’, Federated Press 15th Course: Reinventing the Corporate Secretary, October 14-15, 2014
Professional Associations & Activities
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Securities Law and Business Law subsections
- Member and past executive member and chairman, Canadian Bar Association, Insurance Law Southern subsection
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Legislative Review Committee, 2009 - present
- Participant, Canadian Bar Association, Mentor Program
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Member, Advocates’ Society
- Member, Alberta Advisory Committee to the Advocates' Society
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- Chartered Mediator, ADR Institute of Canada, 2001 - 2011
- Director, Garrison Square Condominium Association, 2002 - 2012
- Awarded Queen’s Counsel designation from the Lieutenant-Governor of Alberta, 2002
- Quoted in the Calgary Herald on the legal system feeling the pressure of aid funding shortfalls, 2014