Spencer practices primarily in litigation and dispute resolution. His practice involves contract disputes, employment disputes, shareholder litigation, builders’ liens and construction disputes and debt recovery.
Spencer has appeared successfully before the Alberta Provincial Court, the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench and the Alberta Court of Appeal.
Spencer has participated in alternative dispute resolution processes, including mediation and arbitration, as both lead counsel and co-counsel.
Spencer has been involved in the following matters:
- Advised numerous clients, including contractors, developers, and land owners respecting builders’ lien claims, including residential and commercial projects
- Successfully negotiated several contentious employment disputes for both employers and employees
- Drafting of employment policies respecting termination, code of conduct, profit sharing structures and various other matters
- Successfully negotiated contested dissolution of franchise agreement for local restaurateur
- Advised clients respecting various general business and commercial issues, including shareholder rights, good governance practices, intellectual property disputes, purchase and sale of corporate assets, and other matters
Before receiving his legal degree in 2013, Spencer spent a summer abroad studying human rights law and international business law at the University of Jerusalem in Israel. Upon graduating from law school, Spencer was recognized as being at the top of his class in Advanced Advocacy and Human Rights Law.
Spencer enjoys spending his leisure time skiing and hiking, and is an avid sports fan.
Notable Reported Decisions
- Smoothwater Capital Corporation v. Marquee Energy Ltd., 2016 ABCA 360 - Counsel for junior oil and gas company appearing before the Alberta Court of Appeal in respect of a plan of arrangement contested by an activist minority shareholder
- Counsel on successful application in Commercial Court for contested seizure and disbursement of assets arising from various oil and gas working interests
- Counsel for insurer on a complex multi-vehicle highway accident with various personal injury and property damage claims
- Counsel and co-counsel for a national retailer respecting bodily injury claims
- Lead counsel for condominium corporation for a three day arbitration with expert evidence regarding building envelope deficiencies
- Second counsel on complex construction dispute respecting delay damages of $13.5 million relating to construction of a high-rise office tower in Calgary
Professional Association & Activities
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Member, The Advocates’ Society
- Member, Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Board of the Directors, Keys to Recovery Society
- Volunteer, Canadian Centre for Professional Legal Education