Brian D. RogersKC
My goal is to provide strategic legal advice with a thoughtful and constructive approach.
Brian has extensive experience with all types of real estate properties and projects, including:
He has worked with residential, commercial, industrial and infrastructure, and represented clients as both lead negotiator and legal counsel, including negotiations for, and on behalf of, the Province of Alberta.
Brian continues to be engaged in pro bono legal work for select clients, civic authorities, charitable and religious foundations, and organizations.
Clients have highly recommended Brian on Martindale-Hubbell.com and Canadian-Lawyers.ca with a rating of 5 out of 5 (“Gold” rating).
- 1973 University of Alberta, LLB
- 1970 University of Calgary, BA
- 1974 Alberta
Brian has acted as counsel for the purchase and sale of various businesses with many types of ownership structures, including co-ownership, joint ventures, and limited partnerships. His representative experience includes acting for private and public corporations, from land developers and investors, pension funds, national insurance corporations, hospitality corporations, educational institutions, public school boards, tribal councils, religious institutions to government agencies and authorities.
- Counsel to Centron Group in the 370 Acre $1.2 Billion Eagle Ridge Project, including development of both commercial and 2,780 residential units.
- Counsel to the Province of Alberta in the $1.42 Billion Southwest Calgary Ring Road project (SWCRR).
- Counsel for the Ktunaxa Kinbasket Tribal Council for the development of the St. Eugene Mission Project in Cranbrook, British Columbia. This was an award-winning project that resulted in the transformation of a residential school into a hotel, golf course and casino development project.
- Negotiations with the City of Calgary and the Federal Government regarding acquisitions and dispositions of public and private lands.
- Counsel to private and public corporations in commercial, residential and industrial developments regarding land assemblies, granting of public reserves, easements and road agreements, and related negotiations with the City of Calgary and other municipal and provincial regulatory agencies.
- Counsel to various developers in the Garrison Woods project developed involving extensive negotiations concerning the acquisition residential and commercial sites from Canada Lands.
- Counsel to various public and private corporations in real estate matters inclusive of negotiations regarding the acquisition and disposition of real estate properties and the structuring of financing and related securities in the Province of Alberta.
- Counsel to public school boards in the acquisition of new school sites.
- Counsel to various hospitality corporations in the negotiation of land agreements, licensing matters, lease agreements and international contracts.
- Counsel for an accredited Olympic hospitality company including negotiating memorandums of understanding, purchase agreements and other operating and hospitality agreements.
- Counsel to the Ismaili community in regard to the acquisition, financing and operation of the ismaili Community Centre and Jamatkhana.
- Counsel to the Temple B'nai Tikvah in a shared use agreement with the United Church and structuring a memorandum of understanding and completion of the site acquisition.
- Counsel to a seniors' care facilities owner and operator in regard to its acquisitions, financing and operations.
HONOURS AND AWARDS
- Brian is recognized by The Best Lawyers in Canada 2023 for work in Real Estate Law.
- Clients highly recommend Brian, giving him a rating of 5 out of 5 (“Gold” rating) on Martindale-Hubbell.com.
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel, 1990; now known as King's Counsel as of September 2022.
- Teaching Roles & Speaking Engagements
GUEST LECTURER and PRESENTER
Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
Mount Royal University
GUEST LECTURER and PRESENTER
University of Calgary
Legal Education Society of Alberta