My extensive experience in condominium law allows me to help clients in a cost-efficient, practical manner.
Laurie is the Condominium group team lead at McLeod Law. Her practice is concentrated in condominium matters, including governance and litigation.
She advises developers, property managers, and boards of directors on matters relating to land, people, and overall governance. Laurie helps her clients with their business decisions, risk management, and people relations. She is well versed and experienced with the Condominium Property Act and Regulation, and related case law.
- 2005 University of Calgary, LLB (third in class)
- 2001 University of Calgary, BA (with distinction)
- 2006 Alberta
- Stagg v. Condominium Plan 882-2999, 2013 ABQB 684 - Successfully argued for legal costs on a full indemnification basis, totalling nearly $75,000.
Counsel for residential and commercial projects, including acting for real estate developers in connection with the development of condominium projects (mixed-use, residential, industrial, and commercial properties).
Counsel for condominium corporations, developers, property managers, and surveyors with:
- drafting bylaws and other agreements
- chairing and organizing annual and special general meetings
- obtaining financing for capital projects and special assessments
- legal opinions on bylaws and their interpretation
- assisting with condominium plan amendments
- navigating condominium insurance and deductibles
- bylaw enforcement and resolution of bylaw infractions
- fee arrears collections, evictions, cease and desist matters
- document reviews, including opinions on the interpretation and application of contracts and bylaws before purchase
In sum, anything and everything related to condominiums.
RECENT MEDIA COVERAGE
- Interviewed in "Reducing risk: Recent change to condominium insurance regulations could benefit Alberta owners", CREB Now, February 2020
- Quoted in “Calgary landlords and condo corporations scramble to regulate cannabis,” Calgary Real Estate News, October 2018
- Law Society of Alberta
- Canadian Bar Association Residential Real Estate Section, Southern Alberta Branch
- Executive member (2012-present)
- Canadian Condominium Institute, South Alberta Chapter
- Board of directors (2011-present)
- Vice president (2015-2018)
- Government of Alberta Stakeholder Group for the review of proposed amendments to the Condominium Property Act - Legal (2019-present)
- Government of Alberta Task Group for the review of proposed amendments to the Condominium Property Act (2015, 2018)
- Association of Condominium Managers of Alberta
- Legal Advisors Group, Real Estate Council of Alberta
- National Association of Condominium Managers
- Steering committee (2009-2010)
- Teaching Roles & Speaking Engagements
Condominium Law Update
LESA, March 2022
Supply Chain Issues: Excuses or Reality?
Calgary Chapter REIC/ICI, March 2022
The Practical Items: Update on the Condominium Property Act and Regulation Amendments, and Stage 2 relaunch by the Government of Alberta
Association of Condominium Managers of Alberta, July 2020
Condominium Update: We have a lot to report!
Canadian Bar Association Residential Real Property Section, May 2020
Condos & Covid-19: Can Residents be Forced to Self-Isolate + Update on the Ministerial Order and Protocols
Canadian Condominium Association, South Alberta Chapter, April 2020
Eclipse College Surveyors School
Haskayne School of Business, May 2019
Real Estate Development Certificate program
University of Calgary Continuing Education, 2014-2018
Canadian Condominium Institute
ACCI designation courses: 100, 200, 300, 2007-2011
Updating and Amending Bylaws
Canadian Condominium Institute, South Alberta Luncheon, October 2018
Condominium Law Update
Legal Education Society of Alberta, Faculty, September 2018, October 2018
Particulars of the Act Amendments Just Proclaimed into Force
Canadian Bar Association Residential Real Estate Section, December 2017
Alberta Condominium & Real Estate Conference
September 2016, October 2017
But it's only a 4-plex!
Calgary Real Estate Board Economic Forecast Conference, January 2017
Condo Living 101
HOMEXPO, January 2016
Case Law Update
Canadian Condominium Institute, South Alberta Chapter Luncheon, June 2016
Amendments to the Condominium Property Act - Should any of the changes be proclaimed?
Canadian Condominium Institute, South Alberta Luncheon, February 2015
What happened to the Amended Condominium Property Act and What’s New in Law?
Canadian Condominium Institute Luncheon, October 2014
Alberta Real Estate Association Leadership Conference, June 2014
Updates to the Condominium Property Act and Financing Issues
Canadian Bar Association Residential Real Estate Section, May 2014
Alberta Land Surveyors Association AGM, April 2014